Gamma Zeta Chapter
- 1 Chapter History
- 2 Chapter Events & Activities
- 3 Notable Alumni
- 4 Chapter Honors and Awards
- 5 Further Resources
- 6 In the News
UNDER CONSTRUCTION (2/4/2020)
Gamma Zeta chapter of Phi Sigma Pi Honors Fraternity has been active for eighteen strong years. Founded on February 25th 1996, Gamma Zeta had grown to 21 active brothers and continues to grow and retain committed brothers through their intensive 9 week initiation period. The brotherhood's initiation program was strengthened due to the Fall 2013 Initiate Advisor Peter Peltack who, through his Assitant Initiate Advisor position under Initiate Advisor Abigail Smith, was able to better structure the general initiation program into the ideal program. Based upon Peltack's program and the continuation of it, Gamma Zeta was able to welcome in two strong initiate classes.
The chapter's strength was officially instilled through the improved initiation program, and Gamma Zeta's step to become more involved with the Regional Consultant occurred when Becca Bleich became regional delegate in the Fall of 2012 to the Spring of 2013. Becca was the first Regional Delegate to keep in contact with the regional consultant, Jessica Iroche and in the Spring of 2014, Alison Criscoe became the first regional delegate to attend a regional conference (along with Dakota Parker, Brittany Hester, and John Spiegelman).
In Fall of 2019, the chapter inducted one new initiate under the initiation program led by Initiate Adviser Caitlyn White and Assistant Initiate Advisor Lindsey White. During this semester, several positions on the executive board were filled, including the Parliamentarian (Elijah Taylor) and the Historian (Madison Welte). In the fall, the Epsilon XI chapter from Eastern Tennessee State University attended a tailgate before the WCU vs. ETSU football game, which led to bonding between the two chapters.
Kevin Rogers was the Chapter founder and President in Gamma Zeta's year of establishment, 1996. Kevin and his now wife, Sherry Rogers still live in the Western Carolina area with their two children, Zeb and Mimosa. The Gamma Zeta Chapter was founded on February 25, 1996.
In 1996 the Gamma Zeta Chapter of Phi Sigma Pi had their own floor in Western's old honors college residence hall, Reynolds. Brothers inhabited the 2nd floor which made it easy for everyone to plan events and meetings. Brothers who lived on the floor claim that their favorite aspect of the fraternity was coming back from class and spending time with their Brothers on the hall.
After Kevin, Sherry and much of the Alpha pledge class went alumni, the chapter historical documents were stolen from the storage locker in which they were being stored. Unfortunately, to the chapters current knowledge, these documents have not been found nor returned. Also, the year in which the documents were stolen is also unknown.
The Active Chapter
Current Faculty Advisor: Colin Townsend
10 Current Officers (Spring 2020):
- President - Breona Tuft
- Vice President - E'Quince Smith
- Parliamentarian - Jessica Duckwall
- Corresponding/Recording Secretary - Taylor Hasick
- Treasurer - Grace Popp
- Head IA - Annie Feldman
- Assistant IA - Hannah Goins
- Recruitment Advisor - Janet Morales
- Historian - Madison Welte
- Brother-at-Large - Ashley Davis
Alumni (Spring 2020):
- Committee head: Madison Welte
Awards & Scholarship (Spring 2020):
- Committee head: Meredith Stone
Finance & Fundraising (Spring 2020):
- Committee head: Emily Anderson
Initiation Committee (Spring 2020):
- Committee head: Annie Feldman
Public Relations (Spring 2020)
- Committee Head: Hannah Goins
Service (Spring 2020)
- Committee Head: Braeden William
Social (Spring 2020)
- Committee Head: Rachel Rhodes
Inter-chapter Relations (Spring 2020)
- Committee Head: Breona Tuft
Past Chapter Presidents
- Jeremy Boucher (ΓΖ 352) Fall 2014-Spring 2015
- Becca Bleich (ΓΖ) Fall 2013- Spring 2014
- Natasha Swanson (ΓΖ 334) Spring 2013
- Ariel Rymer (ΓΖ 332) Fall 2012
- Sarah Justice Fall 2011-Spring 2012
- John Kindy (Alpha Beta, ΓΖ roll number) Fall 2010- Spring 2011
- Shanee Sullivan (Omega, ΓΖ rollnumber) Part of Spring 2010
- Katelan Price (Psi, ΓΖ rollnumber) Fall 2009 part of Spring 2010
- Ashley Hardin (Tau, ΓΖ 260) Spring 2008-Spring 2009
- David Moss (Tau, ΓΖ 255) Fall 2007
- Laura Burgdorf (Sigma, ΓΖ 250) Spring 2007
- Carrie Petrea (Xi, ΓΖ 226) Fall 2006
- Megan Chamblee (Rho, ΓΖ 235) Spring 2006
- Cale Thornburg (Xi, ΓΖ 229) Fall 2004-Fall 2005
- Brad McAbee (Mu, ΓΖ 201) Spring 2004
- Patrick Pearce (Lambda,ΓΖ 185)Spring 2003-Fall 2003
- Jennifer Kramer (Kappa, ΓΖ 173) Fall 2002
- Samantha Rigby (Zeta, ΓΖ 141) Spring 2002
- Kristy Philemon (Zeta, ΓΖ 132) Fall 2000-Fall 2001
- Stephanie Roberson (Delta, ΓΖ 109) Spring 2000
- Sarah Keener (Beta, ΓΖ 69) Fall 1999-Spring 2000
- Kevin Philemon (Charter Member, ΓΖ 35) Fall 1998-Spring 1999
- Samuel Chantes (Alpha, ΓΖ 60) Fall 1997-Spring 1998
- Kevin Rogers (Charter Member, ΓΖ 3) Spring 1996-Fall 1997
Chapter Events & Activities
- Scholarship head, Meredith Stone, has contacted several community partners to hold informational meetings and discussions with the chapter. In February, a representative from CAPS, or Counseling and Psychological Services, spoke with the chapter about mental health and the resources that CAPS offers. The Scholarship committee plans to hold a Self-Defense class in March and a discussion about the Cherokee culture in April.
- Service head, Braeden William, has signed the chapter up for the annual Tuck River Clean-Up as well as an Out of the Darkness Walk in April.
- Social head, Rachel Rhodes, has planned for the chapter to attend a Western Carolina University vs. Eastern Tennessee State University basketball game in February, a chapter potluck in March, and a chapter stargazing night in April.
- Retreat committee head, Meredith Stone, has planned a weekend retreat for the chapter in April.
On February 14th of every year, the chapter wears business casual dress as well as pin attire to signify the national founding date of Phi Sigma Pi.
On the 14th of every month, the chapter wears business casual to signify the national founding date.
Past Events or Activities
The brothers in the past have hosted an event called Rent-a-Puppy which encourages students to "rent" puppies for 15 minutes for 5 dollars.
In the past, the chapter has held a service event called Bowls for Bovines. In this event we collaborate with the Western Carolina University ceramics students (the WCU Mudcats) to make and sell bowls to raise money for Heifer International. Heifer International is an organization whose goal is to help end world hunger and boost the economy in impoverished areas around the world. The money we raise from Bowls for Bovines goes directly to this organization to purchase a livestock animal for a family (or multiple families when we do really well!) in these areas.
- Kevin Rogers (Alpha pledge class, 1996)
- Office Held: President (1996) - Kevin is a notable Alumni because he is Gamma Zeta's chapter founder
Chapter Honors and Awards
- 2014-2015 Recruitment Incentive
- None to date
Chapter Service Key Recepients
- Spring 2015 Alison Criscoe (ΓΖ roll number)
- Spring 2013 Natasha Swanson (ΓΖ 334) and Brittany Cain (ΓΖ 319)
- Spring 2011 Jenny Kindy (ΓΖ ) and John Kindy(ΓΖ )
- Spring 2009 Zach Dearman (ΓΖ 280), Ashley Hardin (ΓΖ 260), Grant Newman (ΓΖ 275), Mark Phillips (ΓΖ 271), and Mike Young (ΓΖ 236)
- Fall 2008 Rebecca Vickers (ΓΖ 213)
- Spring 2007 - Heather Barnard (ΓΖ 218) and Carrie Petrea (ΓΖ 226)
Brother of the Semester Recipients (First Awarded in 2003)
- Spring 2015 Taylor Santa (ΓΖ roll number)
- Fall 2014 Steven Tripp (ΓΖ roll number)
- Spring 2010 -Shanee Sullivan (ΓΖ 282) and Jenny Leigh Jessup (ΓΖ 299)
- Fall 2009-----
- Spring 2009 - Ashley Anderson (ΓΖ 283)
- Fall 2008 - Zach Dearman (ΓΖ 280) and Shanee Sullivan (ΓΖ 282)
- Spring 2008 - Brittany Cardenas (ΓΖ 252)
- Fall 2007 - Ashley Hardin (ΓΖ 260) and Grant Newman (ΓΖ 275)
- Spring 2007 - Laura Burgdorf (ΓΖ 250)
- Fall 2006 - Laura Burgdorf (ΓΖ 250)
- Spring 2006 - Heather Barnard (ΓΖ 218)
- Fall 2005 - Megan Chamblee (ΓΖ 235)
- Spring 2004 - Rita Kirby (ΓΖ 2
- Fall 2004 - Cale Thornburg (ΓΖ 229)
- Spring 2004 - Cale Thornburg (ΓΖ 229)
- Fall 2003 - Brad McAbee (ΓΖ 201)
Brother of the Year Recipients (First Awarded in 2009)
- 2008-2009 Year - Mike Young (ΓΖ 236)
In the News
|Gamma Zeta Chapter|
|Founded February 25, 1996 • Western Carolina University|
|Presidents||Kevin Rogers • Samuel Chantes • Kevin Philemon • Sarah Keener • Stephanie Roberson • Kristy Philemon • Samantha Rigby • Jennifer Kramer • Patrick Pearce • Brad McAbee • Cale Thornburg • Megan Chamblee • Carrie Petrea • Laura Burgdorf • David Moss • Ashley Hardin • Katelan Price • Shanee Sullivan • John Kindy • Sarah Justice • Ariel Rymer • Natasha Swanson • Becca Bleich • Jeremy Boucher|
|History||List of Gamma Zeta Chapter Initiate Classes • List of Gamma Zeta Family Lines|
|Chapter Service Keys||Heather Barnard • Carrie Petrea • Rebecca Vickers • Zach Dearman • Ashley Hardin • Grant Newman • Mark Phillips • Mike Young • John Kindy • Jenny Kindy • Brittany Cain • Natasha Swanson • Alison Criscoe|
|National Council Members||none|