Jessica Alison Nazar
Early Fraternity Life and Career
Jessica Alison Nazar was born in New York City and grew up in New York and Central New Jersey. She decided at age ten that she would attend the University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA) -- a dream sparked by an episode of "Sister, Sister" and propelled by a vision of limitless possibilities. Although she faced extraordinary obstacles in her youth including financial hardship and homelessness, Jessica was determined to realize her dream. Her acceptance letter to UCLA in 2007 signified hope for a brighter future. Three days after her high school graduation ceremony, she boarded a plane with a one-way ticket to Los Angeles and began summer classes at UCLA. Her experience with teen homelessness inspired her to become involved with various non-profit organizations and charities, including the Los Angeles Youth Network (LAYN). Difficulty with affording tuition led her to take a leave of absence from school to work full-time as a field manager for the Los Angeles Homeless Services Coalition, an organization that raised awareness and funds for homeless teens. She returned twice in 2009 but dropped out each time her petitions for California state residency were denied for tuition purposes. After meeting UCLA's California state residency requirements in 2010, she attended six consecutive quarters (including summer sessions) to make up for lost time. She is currently beginning her seventh consecutive enrolled quarter with intentions to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in History in 2012.
Phi Sigma Pi's commitment to the pillars of leadership, scholarship, and especially service drew her to become part of the founding class of UCLA's Zeta Lambda chapter in the spring of 2011.
Collegiate Years at Zeta Lambda Chapter
Jessica became Chair of the Zeta Lambda chapter's Service committee during its colony period. She worked with Service committee members Amanda Ingram and Ashlynn Fiss to organize the chapter's first philanthropic event, a canned food drive to support the Ocean Park Community Center (a transitional housing facility for homeless individuals based in Santa Monica, CA). In Fall 2011, she organized three successful service events in which chapter members helped to serve food at a local shelter, educate UCLA students about homelessness, and distribute lunches on downtown LA's Skid Row.
- June 2011 Memorial Day at a Malibu beach with other California Phi Sigma Pi chapters
- November 2011 road trip to celebrate Phi Sigma Pi's West coast expansion with UC San Diego's Zeta Alpha chapter
Bigs and Littles
As a Founding Member Jessica has no Big.
Jessica Alison Nazar has 4 Little Brothers:
- Wen Yu Peng - Alpha Class
- Nicole Rigas - Alpha Class
- Rachel Ross - Alpha Class
- Fiona Sweeney - Alpha Class
Other Interesting Facts
- Jessica unofficially changed her name to Faith Skye in 2005. Most of her friends and acquaintances in New York still refer to her as Faith.
- Jessica works as a Media Relations and Editorial Assistant at the Office of Media Relations and Public Outreach at UCLA. She compiles headlines of UCLA news for the UCLA Newsroom and writes articles highlighting faculty and staff news for UCLA Today. In the evenings, she also fund-raises for UCLA at the Call Center.
- Jessica volunteers weekly at the Downtown Women's Center, a shelter for low-income and homeless women in downtown LA. She is extremely passionate and concerned about the unique needs of homeless women.
- Jessica is also involved in Alpha Lambda Delta and Phi Eta Sigma, national honor societies for UCLA freshmen who achieved above a 3.5 grade point average in their first undergraduate term.
- Jessica is the Hunger and Homelessness Campaign Coordinator for the California Public Interest Research Group (CALPIRG) at UCLA, and she regularly coordinates volunteer activities and service events for UCLA students.
- Jessica holds capitalist views heavily inspired by her favorite author and philosopher Ayn Rand.
- Jessica loves dancing to pop music from the '80s and '90s. Some of her favorite artists are Britney Spears, Madonna, and Alanis Morrissette.