Luigi Nuñez was a Collegiate Member of the Zeta Iota Chapter (ZI #117, Z #9) at Saint Joseph's University and is an Alumnus member of the Capital Chapter.
Collegiate Years at Zeta Iota
Throughout his collegiate years, Luigi was extremely involved at SJU including being a University Student Senator, coordinating Campus Ministry's Ignite Retreat and Immersion Program, and serving as a tour guide and on numerous university Advisory Committees.
- Freshman year: Since Luigi's time at Camden Catholic High School, he knew that he wanted to join a fraternity. However, Phi Sigma Pi's tripod appealed to him much more than any social fraternity. The chapter inducted Luigi as a Brother of Phi Sigma Pi during his spring semester freshman year.
- Sophomore year: Luigi served on the Fundraising Committee and planned a fundraiser at the Landmark Americana restaurant on campus. After changes in positions, he was moved to the Scholarship Committee and mc'ed a "Mole Day" quizzo event with his big, Mark McShane. He also attended Philly Cup, hosted by the Alpha Lambda and Gamma Xi Chapters. At the end of the calendar year, Luigi was elected as Parliamentarian. In the spring semester, he worked to draft a "four-year plan" for Zeta Iota, enact Partial Inactivity, revamp the chapter's governing documents, separate the Risk Management and Special Events Chairs, and define more fair and reasonable fines alongside the Treasurer. He continued to participate nationally through Philly Cup and being appointed to the National Development Committee.
- Junior year: At the end of the calendar year, Luigi was elected as Vice President and appointed as Webmaster. He helped plan the Philly Metro Centennial Formal and attended Alpha Beta. He was also elected as Zeta Iota's National Delegate for the National Convention in Kansas City, Missouri. There, he received the Richard Cecil Todd & Clauda Pennock Todd Tripod Scholarship.
- Senior year: Due to vacancies in the nominations, Luigi was elected as Inter-Chapter Relations Chair in his final semester. Luigi aimed to grow Zeta Iota's ICR presence. Zeta Iota members visited the Pinning and Induction ceremonies of other chapters for the first time, Zeta Iota's presence at Alpha Beta's Volleyball Tournament doubled, and Zeta Iota's PSP Dodges MS dodgeball tournament became an ICR event for the first time in its history. At Zeta Iota's senior send-off, Luigi was awarded the Sally Siebert award and a Chapter Service Key.
Luigi graduated from Saint Joseph's University with Bachelor of Science degrees in Mathematics and Computer Science, conducted statistical cleaning and descriptive analysis for clinical trials on oncology and endometriosis at Chiltern International, program managed for the Campus Ministry team of his university, and worked as a research assistant for a study on optimization algorithms that resulted in the publication in a peer-reviewed international journal. Luigi became a fellow through the Global Health Corps, working with Population Services International/Uganda and its local affiliate, Programme for Accessible Health Communication and Education, in Kampala, Uganda. He then worked with PSI/Uganda as a consultant, strengthening the flow and use of data systems for the Tunza Social Enterprise, before joining the headquarters team of Population Services International as the Health Area Monitoring Advisor for Malaria and WASH (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene).
Big and Littles
Luigi is a member of the Beta Alpha Mu family. His big is Mark McShane.
His littles are:
- JP Hughes (Resigned)
- Nicholas Swanson
- Robert Focht
Other Interesting Facts
- Speaks fluent English and Spanish and conversional French
- Born in the U.S. to parents from the Dominican Republic
- First to attend college
- Loves traveling
- Certified in SCUBA diving
Luigi can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org