How It All Began
Marjolyn decided to attend the University of North Texas after falling in love with the campus and community during a tour. After spending her Freshman year participating in the Residence Hall Association as the Representative for Kerr Hall, she decided to find a new organization with which to spend her time.
At the beginning of Fall 2008, as she walked through the University Union, she saw a table advertising Phi Sigma Pi's rush week. She was in a hurry, so she quickly stopped, picked up a small flyer, and asked the Brothers at the table to give her a quick explanation of the Fraternity. The Brothers at the table were a bit taken aback by her abruptness, but gave her the general pitch, and she went on her way, excited about rushing. When she got back to her dorm that afternoon, she told her roommate, Kristy Arseneaux, that she was going to rush Phi Sigma Pi for the semester and invited her to join her at a rush event. Marjolyn was sure to ask the rush advisor, Michelle Rodgers, all kinds of questions about the Brotherhood and became extremely dedicated to joining.
Both Kristy Arseneaux and Marjolyn became members of the Rho initiate class and were officially inducted into the Delta Kappa Chapter of Phi Sigma Pi at the end of the Fall 2008 semester.
Leadership Positions Held
- Delta Kappa Inter-Chapter Relations Chair from Fall 2009 - Spring 2010.
- Delta Kappa Scholarship Committee member from Spring 2009 - Spring 2010.
- Delta Kappa Awards & Brotherhood Committee Chair Spring 2009, member Fall 2009.
- Delta Kappa Social Committee member Spring 2010.
- Delta Kappa Service Committee member Fall 2010.
- Delta Kappa Fundraising Committee member Spring 2011.
- Delta Kappa President from Fall 2010 - Spring 2011.
- Delta Kappa Grand Chapter Delegate for the 2009 National Convention and 2010 National Convention.
- Regional Volunteer for the 2014 Lonestar Region Conference hosted by Delta Phi Chapter in San Marcos, TX.
- Attended Southwest Region Conference in Lubbock, TX, in Spring 2009.
- Attended a Delta Psi get-together at Pluckers in Austin, TX, during Summer 2009.
- Attended a campout with Delta Phi and Epsilon Mu in New Braunfels, TX, during Fall 2009.
- Attended Delta Iota's ten year anniversary in Las Cruces, NM, in Fall 2009.
- Attended and was on the planning committee for the first annual Chapter Hop event hosted in Denton, TX, by Delta Kappa, Fall 2009. This event also celebrated Delta Kappa's ten-year anniversary as a Chapter.
- Attended Southwest Region Conference in Denver, CO, in Spring 2010.
- Attended Delta Psi's Boat Party in Spring 2010.
- Attended the second annual Chapter Hop event hosted in San Marcos, TX, by Delta Phi, Fall 2010.
- Attended the Lonestar Region Conference in San Antonio, TX, in Spring 2011.
- Attended the Texas State Fair Extravaganza, planned by a Delta Kappa Brother, in Fall 2011.
- Served as a Regional Volunteer for the 2014 Lonestar Region Conference hosted by Delta Phi Chapter in San Marcos, TX.
- Participated in Phi Sigma Pi's 2010 Alternative Break Project in Atlanta, GA, from January 3 - January 10, 2010.
- Achieved Leadership in Action certification during the 2010-2011 academic term.
- Attended the 2011 National Convention in Crystal City, VA (Washington, D.C.).
- Member of the Leadership Advancement Society.
- Participated in Phi Sigma Pi's 2012 Alternative Break Project in Houston, TX, from May 13 - May 20, 2010.
- Contributed to Phi Sigma Pi's official blog with a post titled Effectively Communicate, Motivate, and Lead with LiA in July 2012.
- Attended the 2013 Alumni Convention in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Attended the 2014 Alumni Convention in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Bigs and Littles
Marjolyn's Big Brother is Hunter Rauso.
Marjolyn also has a Twin, Staci Travis.
Marjolyn has 3 Little Brothers:
- Nick Overbeck, Alumni, graduated Spring '11 (Spring 2009)
- Gonzalo Maturino, Alumni, graduated Fall '10 (Fall 2009)
- Zoe Spangler, Alumni, graduated Spring '12 (Spring 2010)
The Rest of the Family:
- Grand-Little: Robert Maynard, Gonzalo Maturino's Little.
- Great-Grand-Little: Elisabeth Garlington, Robert Maynard's Little.
Some Extended Family:
- Grand-Big: Caryn May, who was Audrey Shivers's & Hunter Rauso's big.
- Audrey Shivers -> Stephen Kurtz -> Lauren Puls -> Austyn Slavych.
- None at this time.
Other Interesting Facts
- Marjolyn now lives in Austin, TX. She has begun a business painting pet portraits in oil while working full time at Marsh USA Inc.
- She enjoys completing cross stitch projects for herself and friends.
- She is a proud Hufflepuff.
Some college facts:
- Marjolyn lived with the alumni extraordinaire Michelle Rodgers 2010-2011.
- Marjolyn was an Orientation Leader at the University of North Texas during the Summer of 2011.
- She has a minor in Hospitality Management.
- She helped to revive the Meritum Mortar Board Chapter at UNT in her final semesters.
As for some stuff about her in high school:
- She qualified for the state level of the Visual Arts Scholastic Event all four years of high school with two pieces each year -- She received state medals at the Visual Arts Scholastic Event for 5 out of the 8 state qualifying pieces.
- She was a member of the cast of her high school's only UIL state-qualifying One-Act Play, performing the play "The Land of the Dragon", and also participated in musical theater for 3 summers as a kid.