When the Director of Expansion Ryan DeGuzman started the chapter founding process at University of California, San Diego, Martin Kwok was first of the few to sign up. After attending an information session by Ryan, Martin knew he wanted to be part of this awesome and amazing opportunity. Martin and a few others gathered enough interested students to undergo the colony process. Martin served as the Parliamentarian during the colony stage, and drafted the original set of Zeta Alpha Chapter Bylaws. Elected President during Winter Quarter of 2010, Martin served for one year until the end of Winter Quarter of 2011.
During his term, Martin focused on structural expansion of the fraternity while also emphasizing the importance brotherhood. Martin presented the Chapter Risk Management Policies and Chapter Operating Policies, and advocated for the expansion of the Executive Board and Chapter committees in addition to doubling the number of Brothers during his term. Martin pushed for a bid to host the 2011 Regional Conference, and after much preparation and planning, the Chapter simultaneously hosted and attended its first Regional Conference in 2011. In addition, during his term, Martin founded the Professional Fraternity Council at UCSD for all members of the Professional Fraternity Association after recognizing the need for effective and efficient communication among all professional, academic, and honor fraternities on campus.
After his term as President, Martin continued to improve the quality of Brotherhood and leadership in the Fraternity. In various positions, Martin worked to enhance the Initiation Program experience (for the first time fostering Big&Little through planned events and activities) as the Initiate Advisor; established the annual retreats and banquets and establish frequent informal events as the Brotherhood Development Chair; drastically improved inter-Chapter communication and relation as the AR/ICR Chair; and as Epistolarian bolstered the Chapter's emphasis on national forms and communication leading to the Top in Region Award in 2012. For his past and ongoing outstanding service to the Fraternity and Chapter, Martin was awarded the Chapter Service Key in Spring 2012.
For two years after his graduation from UC San Diego, Martin served as the Alumni Advisor to his Zeta Alpha Chapter: advocating for increased focus, both during the Initiation Program and through frequent membership workshops, on local history covering Brother etiquette, expectations, and knowledge of Chapter operations; pushing for more formalised consultation from the Alumni Advisors through organised and frequent counsel; and increasing Alumni outreach to regional and Chapter alumni. Regionally, Martin served as the first Regional Volunteer for the Pacific Coast Region, guiding the region to win the Purple&Gold Outstanding Regional Conference Award in 2014. Afterwards, Martin continued his alumni effort serving as the first Regional Volunteer for the newly formed North Pacific Coast Region after the 2014 regional alignment in the west.
Collegiate Years at Zeta Alpha Chapter (2010-2013)
- Executive Board
- Parliamentarian (Colony 2010)
- President (2010 - 2011)
- Parliamentarian (Spring 2011)
- Initiate Advisor (Fall 2011 - Winter 2012)
- Epistolarian (Spring 2012 - Spring 2013)
- Chapter Committees
- Alumni & Inter-Chapter Relations Committee Chair (Fall 2011 - Winter 2012)
- Regional Delegate (2011 - 2012)
- Brotherhood Development Committee Chair (Spring 2013)
- Professional Fraternity Council
- Chair (2011)
- Fraternity Delegate (2012)
- Chapter Awards
- Brother of the Year (2012, 2013)
- Chapter Service Key (2012)
Alumni Years to Present
- Alumni Advisor to Zeta Alpha (2013 - 2015)
- Regional Volunteer for the Pacific Coast Region 2014
- Regional Volunteer for the North Pacific Coast Region 2015
- Regional Conference Advisor for the Northern Pacific Coast Region 2016
- 2011 South West Regional Conference - WICKED at Zeta Alpha
- 2012 Pacific Coast Region - KAPOW! at Zeta Epsilon
- 2013 Pacific Coast Regional Conference at Zeta Lambda
- 2014 Pacific Coast Regional Conference at Zeta Eta
- 2015 North Pacific Coast Regional Conference at Zeta Sigma
- 2010 National Convention
- Member of 2011 National Awards Selection Committee
- 2011 National Convention
- 2014 National Convention
Bigs and Littles
Martin was a Founding Member of Zeta Alpha and the Imperial Family line, and does not have a Big Brother.
Martin has three Little Brothers:
Other Interesting Facts
- Martin has also served in student council throughout his college career.
- Martin also founded the Professional Fraternity Council at UCSD.
|Zeta Alpha President|
2010 – 2011