Risk Management Template
This Risk Management Template is for your chapter to refer to and use as you are creating your own chapter risk management policy. The purpose of this template is to be used as a guide for your chapter to follow by including some or all of the policies within it. Not all of the policies listed here are National policies and must be followed, but they are suggested. Throughout you will see a * next to sections and subsections that are National policies and must be followed. It is also very important that your chapter familiarize itself with your university’s policies and regulations regarding risk management. If your chapter has questions regarding its risk management policy, contact your Region Consultant for assistance.
Alcohol & Drugs
- No alcoholic beverages may be purchased through chapter funds nor may the purchase of same for members or guests be undertaken or coordinated by any member in the name of or on behalf of the chapter.
- No chapter members, collectively or individually, shall purchase for, serve to, or sell alcoholic beverages to any minor (those under legal “drinking age”).
- The possession, sale, or use of any illegal drugs or controlled substances during a fraternity event or at any event that an observer would associate with the fraternity is strictly prohibited.
- The possession and use of alcoholic beverages during a fraternity event, in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter, or in any event an observer would associate with the fraternity, must be in compliance with any and all applicable federal, state, county, and city laws and regulations of the institution of higher education and must comply with either the BYOB or Third Party Vendor Guidelines.
- The purchase and/or use of bulk quantity of such alcoholic beverages, i.e. kegs or cases, shall be prohibited.
- Open parties, meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members of the fraternity without specific invitation, where alcohol is present, shall be prohibited.
- The chapter may not co-sponsor an event with a distributor of alcohol, charitable organization or tavern (tavern defined as an establishment generating more than one half of annual gross sales from alcohol) where alcohol is given away, sold, or otherwise provided.
- The chapter may not co-sponsor or co-finance a function where alcohol is purchased by any of the host chapters, groups, or organizations.
- No member shall permit, tolerate, encourage, or participate in “drinking games.”
- Anyone arriving at a chapter event already intoxicated shall not be admitted to the function.
- Items containing Phi Sigma Pi letters (clothing, hats, jewelry, cups, other accessories) are not to be worn or used in the presence of alcohol or while consuming alcohol unless it is a formal occasion.
Recruitment and Initiation
- Alcohol shall be strictly prohibited from any membership drive event (including all recruitment and initiation events and activities) and any meeting or event where the ritual is used.
- Prospective members and initiates are not permitted to attend any fraternity event where alcohol is present.
- Chapter members (active, inactive, and alumni) shall not use alcoholic beverages in the presence of prospective members or initiates.
- The presence and consumption of alcohol is prohibited at any event/activity related to the pinning of initiates and the induction of new members.