Thomas "Ted" Daniels (born 18 December 1975) is an Alumnus of Alpha Rho Chapter (ΑΡ 305) at Virginia Tech. Ted is best known as the songwriter of Brother, one of the two officially adopted fraternity songs. Ted's contributions to the National Fraternity, including the writing and recording of Brother, were recognized by the National Council in 2001 when he was awarded a Distinguished Service Key.
Early Fraternity Life and Career
Ted pledged Alpha Rho Chapter in the Spring of 1994 under Initiate Advisor Josh Marder. His first Inter-chapter Event was Tau Founder's Day in 1994 and his first National Convention was in Norfolk, VA in 1995.
Collegiate Years at Alpha Rho Chapter
As an undergraduate, Ted served mostly on the Initiation Committee from 1994 until graduation in 1998. In addition, he served one semester as Student Government Association (SGA) Representative and was Alpha Rho's Interchapter Relations (ICR) Chair during his senior year ('97-'98). Ted spent much of the summer of 1997 planning the first joint Alpha Rho / Beta Delta Founder's Day Weekend.
Alumni Years to Present
Since moving to Kentucky in 2000, Ted has acted as friend and unofficial advisor to the University of Kentucky (Gamma Upsilon), Morehead State University (Gamma Beta), and Eastern Kentucky University (Epsilon Eta) chapters. Advised Mike Landisman and his committee during the planning of the first Gamma Up Giddy-Up event. In 2004 Ted was inducted as an honorary member of the Gamma Upsilon chapter.
- Served from 1998-2002 on National Membership Development Committee
- Seen over the years at Tau Founder's Day, Alpha Lambda's Brotherhood Games, Jay Kern's Green Toga and Pig Roasts, Beta Rho's Founder's Day, Beta Iota's weekend, Alpha Beta's volleyball weekend, Gamma Sigma's Jello Wrestling, Beta Kappa's Founder's Day and football games, a Gamma Chi party, Gamma Theta's Mardi Gras weekend, Delta Alpha, Beta Delta, Gamma Zeta's rafting weekend, Grand Chapter at Beta Xi, Kappa's Founder's Day, Alpha Mu's Founder's Days, Gamma Psi's activation meetings, Beta Mu's Founder's Day, and anywhere else he's been invited (except he can't seem to figure out how to make it back to Gamma Chi, no matter how many times he's promised Josh Lazar he'd come back.)
Bigs and Littles
Ted's Big Brother is Michael V. Owen, a member of Alpha Rho's Gamma Class and an officer in the US Navy's submarine corps.
Ted has three Little Brothers:
- Will Marshall - Alpha Rho Alumnus and last known to be serving in the US Air Force
- Thomas Williams - Alpha Rho Alumnus currently living in Cody Wyoming and married to his beautiful wife Erin in the summer of 2006.
- Zach Zebrovious - Alpha Rho Alumnus currently living in Wisconsin.
Other Interesting Facts
Took up acting in community theater after moving to Lynchburg, VA in 1998. Ted has been seen as "Boo" Radley in local productions of To Kill a Mockingbird and a pirate in The Pirates of Penzance, but most recently in Lexington as Ellard Simms in The Foreigner. Currently living in Lexington, Kentucky with his wife Carrie and their two dogs, General Jim Beam (JB) and Woodford Reserve (Woody).