Beta Pi Chapter
Beta Pi Chapter (Founded November 13, 1994) is located at University of Connecticut in Storrs-Mansfield, Connecticut. The Chapter was founded by Alpha Beta Chapter alumnus Jon Pinto and is a member of the Northeast Region.
- 1 Chapter History
- 2 What Do We Do?
- 2.1 ICR Event
- 2.2 About Our Brothers
- 2.3 Chapter Leadership
- 2.4 Chapter Events & Activities
- 2.5 Notable Alumni - Where are they now
- 2.6 Chapter Honors and Awards
- 3 Further Resources
- 4 In the News
The Beta Pi chapter was founded by Jon Pinto (AB), with the charter being received at the 1993 National Convention, which took place in Baltimore, hosted by the Alpha Beta Chapter.
Assistance from alumni would be appreciated for this section. Please contact Lauren Millerd, email@example.com
The Active Chapter
The current chapter consists of about 80 members from the Alpha Theta, Alpha Iota, Alpha Kappa, Alpha Lambda, Alpha Mu, Alpha Nu and Alpha Xi classes. In this past semester Spring 2014, we have about 70 active brothers.
The current president of Beta Pi chapter is Corinne Geoffrion, who was elected to this position in the December elections. Our chapter tries to hold elections near the end of the fall semester, to help ensure good transitions between E-Council and E-Board positions. Our chapter advisor, Ms. Kathy Sanner, has served as the on campus liaison and advisor since the founding of Beta Pi.
One strong component of our chapter is the Standards Committee, which deals with any issues of Brother conduct and risk management issues. Each semester, a Brother from each grade level, (Sophomore, Junior, Senior) is elected by the Brothers of that class standing. Then, we elect a 'Brother-at-Large' who is a Brother that is elected by the whole Brotherhood (who may also be a Freshman). These Brothers, led by the Parliamentarian, interpret the bylaws and rules of our Chapter and our University and investigate any matters that may be unclear; they keep these matters secret from the Brotherhood until it is necessary/has been fully investigated. The Standards Committee is a definite strength of our chapter.
What's Unique About Our Chapter?
Right now we have a few positions that most other chapters do not have. We have a Historian, and we also have an HR Committee. Our HR committee is charged with the responsibility of strengthening our brotherhood through events, and other means! Our HR Committee's main responsibility is to hold a Brotherhood Retreat once per semester, which is mandatory for all Brothers.
We have four alumni advisors, who have recently graduated from the chapter, who correspond and advise us: May Jean Counsilman, Jen Danowitz, Kim Hansen, and Sarah Papale.
When IS Chapter?
Chapter meets weekly at 7:00 PM, unless otherwise noted in the weekly minutes. E-Board usually meets at 6, and Committees usually meet as part of chapter. Mandatory events are Bid Night, Pinning, Bylaw Night, and Induction, as well as Big/Little Ceremony and Big/Little Dinner if you are a Big.
What Do We Do?
Past events have included:
- Fundraising: Cookoff Challenge, Munson's Chocolate Sale, Magazine Fundraising
- ICR: NERC, AB Maryland Volleyball, Syracuse
- Service: Relay for Life, Making Strides for Breast Cancer, Boys and Girls Club, TFA School Supply Drives
- PR: Greek Week, Lip Sync, Letter Days
Our Inter-Chapter relations event this year is going to be a Carnival-type event, date to-be-determined. Any interested Brothers should contact Nicole Kavalan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Morgan Romano (email@example.com)
We hope to make this an annual event. Any ideas about how to improve our event would be appreciated!
About Our Brothers
Many Brothers are "RA's" (Resident Assistants) on campus. This means that they are in charge of Residents in a specific living area of campus, while encouraging and enhancing the living communities they supervise.
Many Brothers are also involved in other organizations. These organizations include: The Chordials (all-female acappella), Alpha Lambda Delta, Fencing Club, UConn Outing Club, UConn Women's Club Rugby, UConn Women's Club Ice Hockey, Shir Modulation (acappella), Husky Sport, Husky Ambassador, UConn Jujitsu, Husky WOW, Women's Choir, UCMB (University of CT Marching Band), UConn Freethinkers, Active Minds - UConn Chapter, Kappa Alpha Theta, and MANY MANY MORE! We are all very involved active members of the UConn Community!
- President: Corinne Geoffrion
- Vice President: Allison Page
- Recording Secretary: Jennifer Selensky
- Corresponding Secretary: Mary Secondo
- Treasurer: Alex Rocheleau
- Initiate Advisor: Ryan Pennington
- Initiate Advisor: Ritchie Shane
- Rush Advisor: Abigail Gantt
- Rush Advisor: Zachary Carricker
- Parliamentarian: Christopher Elmes
- Regional Delegate/ICR Chair: Michael McGuigan
- ICR Chair/Alternate Regional Delegate: Daniel Clark
- Scholarship Chair: Jessica McDonald
- Scholarship Chair: Tyler Cappello
- Alumni Chair: Ethan Taccardi
- Alumni Chair: Eric Miller
- Social Chair: Rose Croog
- Social Chair: Chris Bruno
- Service Chair: Daniel Brink
- Service Chair: Lara Hawley
- Public Relations Chair: Megan Aconfara
- Public Relations Chair: Amy Kostak
- Fundraising Chair: Haley Durand
- Fundraising Chair: Natalie Pavone
- HR Committee Chair: Nicole Muraski
- HR Committee Chair: Miryam Wilson
- Historian:Alyssa Mattera
- Webmaster: Jennifer Selensky
Past Chapter Presidents
- Kathryn Bailly (January 1995 - December 1997?)
- Sharon Huynh (January 1998 - May 2000?)
- Erika Altneu (May 2000 - May 2001?)
- Tracy Wu (May 2001 - May 2002)
- Kate Dabrowski (May 2002 - May 2003)
- Mario Pierce (May 2003-December 2004)
- Amit Gandhi (January-December 2005)
- Heather Bull (January-December 2006)
- Jennifer Smith (January-December 2007)
- Tori Hendrix(Spring 2008)
- Krystal Norton (Fall 2008-December 2009)
- Geoffrey Winkley (December 2009-December 2010)
- Amelia Foley (December 2010-December 2011)
- Danielle Czudak (December 2011-December 2012)
- Laura Frazier (December 2012-December 2013)
View main article: List of Beta Pi Chapter Initiate Classes
- May Jean Counsilman (Spring 2010-Present)
- Jen Danowitz (Spring 2010-Present)
- Kim Hansen (Spring 2010-Present)
- Sarah Papale (Spring 2010-Present)
Chapter Events & Activities
Beta Pi celebrates the national founding of Phi Sigma Pi by wearing our letters or dressing up with our pins on the 14th of each month. Initiates take place in this activity by dressing up on the 14th of each month.
Each semester our Chapter holds a Brother retreat, led by the HR committee. This event is mandatory for all Brothers, alcohol free, and promotes unity among all in our Brotherhood.
Our Alumni Committee coordinates the pairing of an active Brother and an Alumnus of our Chapter to be penpals. This semester we are in the beginning stages of this program, but the Chapter is very excited about this. Any interested Almuni are encouraged to contact Sarah Papale (firstname.lastname@example.org), Alumni Committee Chair.
Notable Alumni - Where are they now
- Founding Member
- Delta class (Spring 1997) - currently resides in New York, NY; Digital Associate Media Director at MediaVest Worldwide; completing MBA at NYU-Stern (May 2009). He helped produce the official recordings of the fraternity songs ("Brothers Are We" and "Brother") in 2002.
- (Spring 2008) - Molly is currently teaching in Memphis, Tennessee as a Teach for America Corps Member.
- Charter Class (Fall 1994) - Currently Dr. Dalwadi works in Pediatric Medicine as a member of the Children's Medical Group in Fishkill, NY
- Gamma Class (Spring 1996) - Medical Conference Coordinator for the National Institute of Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine (NICABM)
- Todd Miller, Ph.D.
- Delta Class (Spring 1997) - Todd attained his Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences with a concentration in Neuroscience from the University of Albany in 2004. He is currently employed at Vanderbilt University as a researcher in Breast Cancer.
- 2011 Rolla F. Wood Graduate Scholarship recipient
Chapter Honors and Awards
- 2017 Josh and Britt Marder Excellence in National Philanthropy Award
- 2017 Jeffrey L. Johnson National Chapter Fellowship Award
- 2014 Dr. Eldo L. Hendricks Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Programming
- 2009 Joseph Torchia Outstanding Chapter Award
Our Chapter achieved a variety of goals, including improving our recruitment program tremendously, and improving Brother ties. We achieved many goals as a Chapter and are proud to have received this award.
- 2009 Best in Region Award We received a "Best in Region" award for the Northeast.
Kathy Sanner has been the advisor to Beta Pi chapter since the beginning, in March of 1993. She has been an extremely dedicated role model to the Beta Pi chapter, and has been a large part of the chapter's continued success. Without her, Beta Pi chapter would not exist. The members of Beta Pi chapter owe her continued respect and gratitude.
- 2008 Lip Sync, 2nd Place Fee Funded Organization
- 2009 Homecoming King, Kevin McQuade
- 2008 Homecoming Royalty Pageant, Runner-Up, Debra Feinberg
- 2008 Homecoming Royalty Pageant, 5th Place, Andrew Esposito
In the News
- Farming for a change
- Homecoming Parade is a hit
- Working To Close The Achievement Gap
- Corrina Pysa seeks Miss Connecticut Title
|Beta Pi Chapter|
|Founded November 13, 1994 • University of Connecticut|
|Presidents||Kathryn Bailly • Sharon Huynh • Erika Altneu • Tracy Wu • Kate Dabrowski • Mario Pierce • Amit Gandhi • Heather Bull • Jennifer Smith • Tori Hendrix • Krystal Norton • Geoffrey Winkley • Amelia Foley • Danielle Czudak • Laura Frazier|
|History||List of Beta Pi Chapter Initiate Classes • List of Beta Pi Family Lines|
|Chapter Service Keys||Karen Goodman|
|National Council Members||none|