Alpha Chapter (Founded 14 February 1916; Went inactive in 1979; Reactivated 2 December 2000) is located at University of Central Missouri (formerly Central Missouri State University) in Warrensburg, Missouri. The Chapter was founded by Eldo L. Hendricks, Claude A. Phillips, and C.H. McClure, and is a member of the Great Plains Region.
- 1 Chapter History
- 2 The Active Chapter
- 3 Chapter Events & Activities
- 4 Notable Alumni
- 5 Chapter Honors and Awards
- 6 Further Resources
- 7 Websites
- 8 In the News
In addition to Dr. Hendricks, Dr. Phillips and Dr. McClure, ten other student members were part of the founding group. They were Alfred Thayer, J. Archie Leach, Roland Grinstead, Ray Parkins, Wade Fowler, Roy Bigelow, Arthur Kresse, John Doak, Harold Patterson and Harry Hill. These ten students were the first undergraduate Brothers of Phi Sigma Pi, Thayer being the first among them. Dr. Hendricks would go on to be known as Alpha 1.
World War I
As the United States mobilizes for war, many of the men on the Warrensburg campus go off to military training camps throughout the country or to the European front. Many of the Warrensburg men become part of a military emergency medical team known as the Ambulance Boys. This group forms a very close relationship and many of its members belong to Phi Sigma Pi and Sigma Tau Gamma. All campus organizations, including Phi Sigma Pi, would struggle with membership until the war ended in 1920. Phi Sigma Pi would only induct a total of 8 men in 1918 and 1919.
Post World War I
In 1920 Alpha Chapter begins the tradition of inviting eligible candidates to join Phi Sigma Pi.
Alpha Chapter went inactive in 1979, during one of the fraternity's most difficult periods. However, thanks to the relentless efforts of the National Council, National Staff, Alpha Chapter Alumni, and interested brothers from other chapters, the chapter was reactivated on December 2, 2000. Gene Seevers played a large part in the reactivation due to his connections with many university administration officials. Thirty-four brothers signed the new roll book that day, under the direction of National President Joshua Marder, and with an emotional audience of Alpha Alumni, National Officers and Staff, and brothers congregated from all over the country. Also in attendance were original chapter members; Gene Seevers, Jerry Voss, Harold Young, Dr. Charles Keseman and Earl Webb. Gene was awarded with a Distinguished Service Key during the reactivation ceremonies.
The Active Chapter
View main article: Active Alpha Brothers
Alpha's Executive Board is composed of twelve elected members. These members are elected each fall to serve for the following calendar year. There are nine voting members and three nonvoting member, that of Female/Male Brother at Large and Regional Delegate.
- President - Fiona Stevenson
- Vice President - Sarah Ragsdale
- Recording Secretary - Kayla Rogers-Sigetich
- Corresponding Secretary - Jessica Way
- Treasurer - Keith Weston
- Rush Advisor - JT
- Initiate Advisor - Bill Bowey
- Historian - kacie Ferguson
- Parliamentarian - Alex Richardson
- Female Brother at Large- Lindsay Martin
- Male Brother at Large- Dat Le
- Regional Delegate- Sarah Rutherford
Past Chapter Presidents
- Angela (Franks) Rechtein (2000-2002)
- Jennifer Kamler (2002-2003)
- Jessica (Crump) Medley (2003-2004)
- Nicole (Fender) Bowlin (2004-2005)
- Jessica (Schumacher) Shoemaker (2005-2006)
- Stephanie Glinn (2006-2007)
- Annette Arlint (2007-2008)
- Becky Lakaner (2008) (Stepped Down)
- Kyle Martin (2008-2009)
- Samantha Garton (2009-2010)
- Jacqui Kendrick (2010-2011)
- Sam Hale (2011-2012)
- Christina Dobson (2012-2013)
- Luke Schreiber (2013-2014)
- Fiona Stevenson (Hawkins) (2014-2015)
View main article: List of Alpha Chapter Initiate Classes
Chapter Events & Activities
Every year, the Alpha Chapter celebrates Founder's Weekend around February 14. As part of our celebration, we decorate the graves of Eldo L. Hendricks, Rolla F. Wood, and C.H. McClure. It is our time to reflect on the brothers who came before us. Some of the activites that we do on Founder's Weekend is a Founders dinner and an activite to get the chapter active.
Spring Rush Week 11
The Spring Rush Week of 2011 was a blast. We had a great turn out of brothers and perspectives at all of the events we were able to have. Warrensburg experienced a snow blizzard that closed the campus down for three days during rush week. The theme of rush was "Hatching a New Breed of Brothers". The Dynamic Duo of Sam's (Hale and Garton)did a great job with rush. On Tuesday, during a regular meeting we voted on the perspectives. On April 17th, at the end of their 8 weeks, we voted in 14 new initiates. Congratulations to the initiates of the Chi class of 2011.
This past semester, Spring 2011 we had 16 graduating seniors. Throughout their time at Alpha Chapter, they have been very active and have helped out with the many Chapter events. In honor of their efforts within in the Chapter, we hold an annual Senior Send-Off. Each semester, we develop a Senior Send-Off video, read Senior wills, and give them each a small token of appreciation from the Chapter. This has been a great year and we wish all of the Seniors the best of luck!
Great Plains Regional Conference
In February of 2012, Alpha Chapter hosted the Great Plains Regional Conference. They hosted the five other chapters in the Great Plains region, and the conference included a tour of campus, a visit to the Founders Graves, Leadership in Action module and facilitator training, and a dance.
Founder's Weekend 2016
To commemorate the Centennial, Alpha Chapter hosted a Founder's Celebration. It included visiting the Founders Graves and exploring the history of Phi Sigma Pi. This event was well attended by Alpha Chapter alumni, including the Charter class from our reactivation.
- Phi Sigma Pi Founder
- Phi Sigma Pi Founder
- National President (1922-1925)
- National President (1928-1929)
- National Counselor (1929-1930)
- National Vice President (1930-1931)
- National Historian (1931-1935)
- National Secretary (1930-1936)
- National Treasurer (1922-1925)
- National Counselor (1925-1928)
- National Historian (1948-1953, 1957-1959)
- National Historian (1966-1968)
- Dr. Sheldon Emmor Davis, Honorary
- a faculty member at Warrensburg, was invited to deliver the Founder's Day address at Alpha Chapter in 1919 and became one of its first honorary members. He left Warrensburg later in 1919 and became president of the State Normal College in Dillon, Montana. This is now known as the University of Montana - Western. He continued to serve Phi Sigma Pi as the Regional Director of the Western District. Dr. Davis served as president until 1946. Davis Hall is named after him.
- founded Gamma Chapter
- Dr. Robert Patton, Honorary
- Dr. Patton was instrumental in reactivating Alpha Chapter. He was inducted on April 28, 2005
- Gene was critical to the reactivation of Alpha Chapter.
- 2007 Todd Tripod Scholarship recipient
Seven buildings on campus are named after Brothers. For more information see Buildings Dedicated to Brothers.
Chapter Honors and Awards
- 2002 Clarence O. Williams Most Improved New Chapter Award
- 2006 Jeffrey L. Johnson National Chapter Fellowship Award
- 2012 Most Spirited Chapter Award
- 2012 Top in Region Award
- 2012 Most Spirited Chapter 2012
- 2013 Most Spirited Chapter Award
- 2013 C.H. McClure Single Service Award
- 2013 Top in Region Award
- 2014 Outstanding Chapter Advising Award
- None to date
- None to date
- Alpha Nugget 1930
- Alpha Nugget 1931
- Alpha Argus 1934
- Alpha Argus 1935
- Campus buildings named after Alpha Chapter Brothers
- Reactivating Alpha Chapter(1999)
In the News
|Founded February 14, 1916 • University of Central Missouri|
|Presidents||Charles Roselle • Tony Gilmore • Homer Baldwin • Albro F. Stepp • 1940-1950 unknown • Keith Stumpff • 1952-2000 unknown • Angela (Franks) Rechtein • Jennifer Kamler • Jessica (Crump) Medley • Nicole (Fender) Bowlin • Jessica (Schumacher) Shoemaker • Stephanie Glinn • Annette Arlint • Becky Lakaner • Kyle Martin • Samantha Garton • Jacqui Kendrick • Sam Hale • Christina Dobson • Luke Schreiber|
|National Council Members||Eldo L. Hendricks • C.H. McClure • Joseph Glen Bryan • J.A. Leach • Rolla F. Wood • James M. McCallister • Lawrence N. Pease • Clarence O. Williams • B.B. Cramer • R.C. Bedell • Perry G. McCandless • R. Clark Morton|
|Chapter Service Keys|
|Internal Chapter Awards|