Beta Upsilon Chapter
- 1 Beta Upsilon Chapter History
- 2 The Active Chapter
- 3 Past Chapter Presidents
- 4 Chapter Events & Activities
- 5 Notable Alumni
- 6 Chapter Honors and Awards
- 7 Further Resources
- 8 In the News
Beta Upsilon Chapter History
The Beta Upsilon Chapter was founded on April 03, 1995 at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. The chapter's founding went through a rough period and a year went by before members became inducted. There were 94 founding members of Beta Upsilon, Tina Sachar being the first inducted. The first meeting held without national Phi Sigma Pi representatives present was on October 21, 1996, with 74 members present.
Early Years (1996-2000)
The Beta Upsilon chapter of Phi Sigma Pi underwent a few struggles upon being chartered. The charter class was established on April 3, 1995, however the fledgling Chapter did not succeed and a restart of the Chapter by National Headquarters was done in April 1996.
The chapter saw new initiate classes made up on average of about fifteen members. The brotherhood quickly established local traditions, such as the annual banquet at the end of each semester. The banquet was held at the Peking Garden restaurant in Hadley, MA during the first few years of it's founding. Initiation has always been the interest of all active brothers, and the chapter celebrated an Initiate Picture Day to help initiates bond. During this event, initiates and brothers would hang out around campus and get lunch together. The day would also include a little photo shoot of the initiates.
Another tradition established early on in the chapter was the Initiate Scavenger Hunt. Split into teams, the initiates have to travel around campus to decipher clues which will ultimately lead to their final clue. In the past, the scavenger hunt involved clues relating to the University of Massachusetts campus. However, recently the event has been changed to include anonymous clues about each brother.
The "Dark" Years (2000-2005)
After the first three years of active service to the UMass campus, the chapter's organization began to wane for the next few years. Little is recorded or remaining from the years 2000-2005 and no scrap books were maintained (that are still in the chapter's possession). Hopefully this period in the chapter's history will be filled in soon. If you have information about this time that may help fill in the blanks, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beta Upsilon 2007
Main Article: Beta Upsilon 2007 Chapter History
Beta Upsilon 2008
Main Article: Beta Upsilon 2008 Chapter History
Beta Upsilon 2009
Main Article: Beta Upsilon 2009 Chapter History
Beta Upsilon 2010
Main Article: Beta Upsilon 2010 Chapter History
The Current Chapter
The Beta Upsilon Chapter currently has 46 Active Brothers. Beta Upsilon's members are active in the UMass community, participating in various clubs ranging from social fraternities/sororities, to honor societies, to various registered student organizations around campus, but remain united through Phi Sigma Pi.
The chapter's recent goals include strengthening alumni relations, and inter-chapter relations. Recently the brotherhood has expanded the chapter through new executive board positions as well as a new committee, the Records Committee.
The chapter has taken an active role in recent years to create new traditions, such as:
- Beta Upsilon's Annual TFA 5K race in the spring
- Participation in UDance
- National Founder's/Valentine's Day Dinner
- Participation in Relay for Life
- An intramural sports team
The Active Chapter
- Beta Upsilon Active Brothers
- Beta Upsilon Active Alumni
- Beta Upsilon Chapter Initiate Classes
- Beta Upsilon Family Trees (under construction)
- Beta Upsilon Intramural Sports Teams
Phi Sigma Pi, BY, What's that?
that's Beta OOps, make no mistakes,
we're geniuses, don't test us,
you think otherwise and get messed up.
We're PSP, our bonds are strong,
UMASS, so party hard and long,
don't stop, we can't, why would we try?
we Beta OOps, and we so fly.
So listen up, get ready for,
the best chapter, there's plenty more,
where that came from, we're number one,
how you like that, we'll come right back.
Say PSP, (chant back PSP),
Say PSP, (chant back PSP),
It's true, it's true, and what is true?
we are Beta OOps, so WHO ARE YOU?
Written By: Louis Harris (Psi)
The Beta Upsilon Belties! The mascot represents the agricultural history of the University of
Massachusetts, and at present the Belted Galloway is a prominent feature of the University's Agricultural School.
Fall 2013 Executive Board
- President: Kayla Goldberg (Alpha Zeta)
- Vice President: Jessie Colman (Alpha Eta)
- Secretary: Charlotte Olson (Alpha Iota)
- Treasurer: Alex Saracino (Alpha Theta)
- Parliamentarian: Ali Pirello (Alpha Delta)
- Initiate Advisor: Lauren Augusto (Alpha Zeta) and Rachel Vogel (Alpha Zeta)
- Rush Advisor: Kristen Silbo (Alpha Eta)
- Brother at Large: Julie Locke (Alpha Iota)
- Historian: Michelle Vibberts (Alpha Zeta)
- Regional Delegate: Carolyn Timm (Alpha Iota)
- Philanthropy Advisor: Karen Podorefsky
Here is a list of Beta Upsilon Past Executive Boards.
Fall 2013 Standing Committee Chairs
- Service: Tierney Bocsi
- Fundraising:Erica Johnston
- Educational:Carolyn Kelly
- Social: Brenna Pevato
- PR/Inter-Chapter Relations: Anessa Roth and Carolyn Timm
- Alumni Relations: Diana Weinstein
- Records Committee: Katie MacLeod
- Spirit Committee: Julie Locke
- Alumni Advisor: Christine Norton and Ryan Hebert
Past Chapter Presidents
- Tancy Kelly (Spring 1996 - Spring 1997)
- Cheyenne Ferro (Fall 1997 - Spring 1998)
- Matt Fallon (Fall 1998 - Spring 2000)
- (Unknown) (2001)
- (Unknown) (2002)
- Danielle Williams (??? - Spring 2004)
- Sarah Stancato (Fall 2004 - Spring 2005)
- Joe Cabral (Fall 2005 - Spring 2006)
- Rich Iannone (Fall 2006 - Spring 2007)
- David Romanelli (Fall 2007 - Spring 2008)
- Christine Rega (Fall 2008 - Spring 2009)
- Ashley Blubaugh (Fall 2010 - Spring 2011)
- Raymond Isenburg (Fall 2011 - Spring 2012)
- Jacob Coffin (Fall 2012 - Spring 2013)
- Kayla Goldberg (Fall 2013-Spring 2014)
- (Unknown) (Fall 2014-Spring 2015)
- Justin Waller (Fall 2015-Spring 2016)
- Jess Orlando (Fall 2016-Spring 2017)
- Tessa Oliver (Fall 2017-Spring 2018)
- Jacqueline Dow (Fall 2018-Spring 2019)
Chapter Events & Activities
Teach for America 5K Walk
- The Beta Upsilon Chapter held our first TFA 5K run in Spring 2008. The run spans the UMass campus, starting and finishing at the Fine Arts Center with Brothers and initiates cheering the runners in. Prizes are awarded to the first place male and female runners with gifts from our sponsors. In our first year we had 50 runners and raised $500 for Teach for America.
- Started Spring 2008, Beta Upsilon held our first Initiate-Brother retreat at Becket-Chimney Corners YMCA. The Brothers and initiates played team building games, used the high and low ropes equipment and climbed their rock wall during our stay. The purpose of this event is to increase fellowship and leadership in the Brothers while also getting better acquainted with the initiates.
- At the end of each semester, the Beta Upsilon Brothers go to local hotel or banquet hall to celebrate the end of the semester and the newest additions to the Chapter. We have a formal sit-down dinner along with superlative awards and night-long dancing. All of the Brothers wait all semester for this event to dress up and have a fun night!
- Every year around April 10th, the Brothers gather to celebrate our founding as a chapter at UMass Amherst. We invite the initiates and help them create their biography sheets and family trees. We also have lots of food and bake a birthday cake and sing "Happy Birthday" to Beta Upsilon. It is one of the best events of the year because it is a time where all the Brothers can get together with the initiates and have a great time.
Relay for Life
- The Beta Upsilon Chapter participates yearly in the Five College Relay for Life at the Amherst College track. The Brothers come out to support the American Cancer Society in this event and raise money for the cause. From dusk to dawn Brothers walk around the track for this fundraiser and participate in various events through out the night such as a relay race and whipped cream pie contest. Brothers bring a BBQ and tent and typically the spring initiate classes also form a Relay team.
- Started in 2006, UDance is a 15 hour dance marathon to benefit the Children's Miracle Network and the Baystate Children's Hospital in Springfield, MA. The dance is put on by the fraternities and sororities at UMass. There are many other events during the dance marathon such as a relay race, a four square, and a Guitar Hero tournament. Beta Upsilon has participated since 2007. In 2007, UDance participants raised over $20,000! Each year the event raises more and more money for the cause.
- Tina Marie Sachar (1994), Founding Member
Chapter Honors and Awards
- Purple and Gold Fall 2008 Pages 2,14 & 19
- Amherst Wire "Co-ed fraternity breaks the mold" (12/27/08)
- Purple and Gold Fall 2009 Page 19
- Silver Chapter Excellence Award, Spring 2009
In the News
|Beta Upsilon Chapter|
|Founded April 3, 1995 • University of Massachusetts-Amherst|
|Presidents||Tancy Kelly • Cheyenne Ferro • Matt Fallon • (Unknown) (2001) • (Unknown) (2002) • Danielle Williams • Sarah Stancato • Joe Cabral • Rich Iannone • David Romanelli • Christine Rega • Ashley Blubaugh • Raymond Isenburg • Jacob Coffin|
|History||List of Beta Upsilon Chapter Initiate Classes • List of Beta Upsilon Family Lines|
|Chapter Service Keys||Christine Norton|
|National Council Members||none|