Beta Kappa Chapter
- 1 Chapter History
- 2 Chapter Events & Activities
- 3 Notable Alumni
- 4 Chapter Honors and Awards
- 5 Further Resources
- 6 In the News
Beta Kappa was founded on February 13 1994. [Edit: the wiki originally said we were founded on the 16th, but this was an error according to Nationals. The letter with the induction date can be seen on betakappa.tumblr.com. The charter class was 195 people, although most resigned or were expelled at some point before they graduated from Clemson.
The Active Chapter
Beta Kappa currently has around 85 active brothers. In the recent past, Beta Kappa was an active Chapter in the national scene, frequently road tripping and attending inter-chapter events. Beta Kappa used to hold an annual Founders' Weekend dinner and dance.
In the recent past, Beta Kappa has won the prestigious Omicron Delta Kappa Clemson University Honor Society of the Year award due to its extensive and innovative service, scholarship, and fellowship opportunities.
At the 2013 National Convention in Philadelphia, PA the Beta Kappa chapter won the Best in Region award. This was Beta Kappa's first national award!
Current Executive Board
- President - Brian Gibbs
- Vice President - Megan Oliveira
- Secretary - Sean Kamperman
- Treasurer - Amy Lee
- Parliamentarian - Brian Londergan
- Initiate Advisor - Laura Robinson
- Initiate Advisor- Kelly Thompson
- Historian - Sarah Steedman
- Brother-at-Large - Mathieu Maggio
- Brother-at-Large - Rebeka Wellmon
- Jennifer Yeargin-Busch (Spring 1994-Fall 1994)
- Jane Sutherland (Fall 1994-Spring 1997)
- Ryan Ballew (Spring 1997-Spring 1998)
- R. Brian Mock (Spring 1998-Spring 1999)
- John P. McKibbin (Fall 1999-Spring 2000)
- Eric Krantz (Fall 2000-Spring 2002)
- Julie Long (Fall 2002-Spring 2003)
- Bradley Weeber (Fall 2003-Spring 2004)
- Joshua Worthington (Fall 2004)
- Erica A. Garber (Spring 2005)
- Rodney Kyle Davis (Fall 2005-Spring 2007)
- Sarah Replogle (Fall 2007)
- Brette Winston (Spring 2008-Spring 2009)
- Victoria Medley (Spring 2009-Spring 2010)
- Lynn Patrick (Spring 2010- Spring 2011)
- Erin Doyon (Spring 2011- Spring 2012)
- Chase Burbage (Fall 2012 - Spring 2013)
- Amber Hackler (Fall 2013 -Spring 2015 ))
Main Article: List of Beta Kappa Chapter Initiate Classes
These families have individual histories (see their page). Beta Kappa, as of Fall 2012, does not officially prohibit the creation of new families, but it is frowned upon since we have wanted to maintain the Three Original Families. There are unofficial "sub-families" that pop up from time to time. We have been moving towards the idea of creating a new family once one Brother's direct line has become really large (15+ Brothers).
On October 21, 2012, in order to save the Fresh Family, the family line of Elizabeth "Edub" Williams (former VP, and major contributor to Beta Kappa) was moved from the S Family to the Fresh Family. Henceforth, the Fresh Family will be known as the Edub/Fresh Family (aka the Extra Fresh Family).
Chapter Events & Activities
Beta Kappa has in the past celebrated the Chapter's founding with a full weekend of themed activities. In recent years BK has not hosted a Founder's Day Weekend. There is an renewed effort as of Fall 2012 to push to have more interaction with other chapters and the alumni. Semi-Formal of Fall12 will be the first ICR event hosted by Beta Kappa in at least four years. There is also a push to have more Brothers attend more events hosted outside of Beta Kappa, especially Regionals and Nationals.
Our past successfully planned and executed events include:
- 2007 - Murder Mystery Dinner set in a 1920's Chicago Flop House. Attendees were given roles to play. Special Guest Speaker "FreshBoy", BK 325, was the decedant.
- 2009 - A fabulous Valentine's Day Formal was the spotlight on Saturday night, February 14. Several Alumni from two neighboring Chapters -Alpha Upsilon and attended.
- 2015 - The chapter had a weekend of events planned out, with guests from Epsilon Xi Chapter.
Rate Your Professors Web Site
Since ca. 1996, Beta Kappa has hosted a Rate Your Professors (RYP) web site open to all Clemson University students to provide ratings and commentary about Professors and Instructors at Clemson University. The purpose of this site is stated in the opening paragraph of the site disclaimer:
"The Brothers of the Beta Kappa Chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity at Clemson University, in striving to encourage the ideal of Scholarship through the promotion of Academic Freedom regarding the unfettered exchange of ideas and information, have established the Rate Your Professor web site for the purposes of exchanging student- and faculty-generated information relating to academic instruction and enhancing the educational process at Clemson University." (Read the full disclaimer)
The original site was created by Brother T. Brian Bunton, BK 299.
The current version of the RYP site requires potential posters to read and acknowledge a disclaimer, and agree to terms of posting. Only users with a valid Clemson University ID may create postings, although anyone may view postings. New ratings must be approved by Members of Beta Kappa Chapter prior to posting on the RYP site, and postings not meeting the terms set forth in the site disclaimer are ignored.
Beta Kappa is very proud of the RYP site, and runs promotional campaigns during Rush as well as at the start and end of each semester.
- Note about the site: While Beta Kappa was proud of the RYP site, we no longer maintain it*
Beta Kappa and New Social Media
As of September 2011 Beta Kappa has maintained a chapter blog on Tumblr, which you can see[ http://www.betakappa.tumblr.com here]. It was created by Written Historian Kat Clark, and is currently maintained by the Historian.
Beta Kappa also has a private facebook group (Phi Sigma Pi - Beta Kappa) for the Brothers and Alumni to correspond and stay updated. One may request to be added, but may only see the content of the group once their request is approved by an administrator (i.e. an Exec Board member). While this social media outlet had languished and had remained relatively untouched since it was created, President Erin Doyon made great strides to get the chapter more connected through social media. Now the Facebook group is the most used and viewed outlet for the Brothers.
Beta Kappa also has a twitter account which is connected to the Tumblr blog. The twitter name is @PSPBetaKappa which was created by IA Julie Weigand.
We also have an awesome web page through Clemson University, whose updates made by webmaster/IA Ryan Lengel, premiering in Spring 2013. You can see it[ http://www.clemson.edu/~psp here]. This website is now mainly used for recruitment/general advertising to the Clemson campus.
- Senior Vice President (2008-2010)
- Vice President of Finance (2012-2014)
- National President (2014-2016)
- Vice President of Chapter Development (2014-2016)
Chapter Honors and Awards
- 2008 Recruitment Incentive Plan Recipient
- 2013 Top in Region Award
- 2002 Clemson University Honor Society of the Year, presented by Omicron Delta Kappa
- 2003 Clemson University Honor Society of the Year, presented by Omicron Delta Kappa
- 2004 Clemson University Honor Society of the Year, presented by Omicron Delta Kappa
- 2005 Clemson University Honor Society of the Year, presented by Omicron Delta Kappa
- None to date
Chapter Service Key Recipients
- Jane Sutherland - 1997
- Austin Dantzler - 1998
- Brian Mock - 1999
- Jeremiah Kenworthy - 1999
- Dawn Sarnowski - 1999
- Juli McLaurin - 2000
- John McKibbin - 2000
- Melissa Johns - 2000
- Matthew Nicoletta
- Stephanie Schwindel
- Amber Hackler - fall 2014
- Brian Bunton - spring 2015
- Beta Kappa Chapter Blog
- Beta Kappa Chapter Twitter Page
- Beta Kappa Chapter Website (This is hardly ever used)
- Beta Kappa Chapter Portal (This is unused)
- BK Rate Your Professors Web Site (This is never used)
In the News
|Beta Kappa Chapter|
|Founded February 13, 1994 • Clemson University|
|Presidents||Jennifer Yeargin-Busch • Jane Sutherland • Ryan Ballew • Brian Mock • John McKibbin • Eric Krantz • Julie Long • Brad Weeber • Josh Worthington • Erica Garber • Kyle Davis • Sarah Replogle • Brette Winston • Victoria Medley • Lynn Patrick • Erin Doyon • Chase Burbage • Amber Hackler|
|History||List of Beta Kappa Chapter Initiate Classes • List of Beta Kappa Family Lines|
|Chapter Service Keys||Matthew Nicoletta • Chris Clapp • Eric Krantz • Stephanie Schwindel • Brian Bunton • Brian Mock • Juli McLaurin • Amber Hackler • Erica Garber • Brad Weeber • John McKibbin • Jane Sutherland • Austin Dantzler • Jeremiah Kenworthy • Dawn Sarnowski • Melissa Johns|
|National Council Members||Matthew Nicoletta • Brian Bunton|