Gamma Mu Chapter
Gamma Mu Chapter (Founded 15 October 1996) is located at Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. The Chapter was founded by Kate Blatnik and is a member of the Great Lakes Region. The region consultant is Christiana Berardi.
- 1 Chapter History
- 2 Chapter Events & Activities
- 3 Notable Alumni
- 4 Honors and Awards
- 5 Further Resources
- 6 In the News
Gamma Mu was founded October 15, 1996 by Kate Blatnik. On October 15, 1996, the Gamma Mu Chapter was established with the induction of 207 charter members. Kate was honored to read the President's part in the ceremony. There were 8 Brothers from the Alpha Phi Chapter who read in the ceremony and helped pin all 207 new members!
Kate Blatnik (now Holloway) initially found out about Phi Sigma Pi in the Fall of 1993 from Karen Lessnau at Eastern Michigan University. She was a sophomore at EMU. Kate attended a few rush nights in the Winter of 1994, became a pledge of the Delta class, and was inducted on March 26, 1994 into the Alpha Phi chapter.
Kate transferred to Central Michigan University in January 1995. CMU did not have a chapter of Phi Sigma Pi, so in the Spring and Summer of 1996, Kate contacted Phi Sigma Pi's National Headquarters about starting a chapter at CMU. Kate then obtained the go ahead in Summer 1996 to proceed with chartering the Gamma Mu Chapter. In August 1996, a handful of Alpha Phi Brothers came up to CMU and helped with the Student Organization Fair to introduce Phi Sigma Pi to the campus.
It was Betsy Robinson (now Jacquith) who was the Director of Expansion, and an instrumental help getting the chapter started. Dates for meet nights were set along with an induction date for October 1996. Kate obtained mailing labels for qualified CMU students and sent out letters for the meet nights and general information regarding the Fraternity. Betsy was there for the meet nights and she gave a speech along with Kate and gave information about Phi Sigma Pi. Over 400 students attended the meet nights.
The Chapter started it's first 5K Pi Run to benefit Teach For America in the Spring 2007. Just breaking even with the money donated versus money spent, the Gamma Mu Chapter donated $200 to Teach For America out of their funds to support the philanthropy and all of their efforts.
To get more involved with Teach For America, the Gamma Mu Chapter began sponsoring a classroom in the Spring 2009. After all of the wonderful experiences the Chapter had with Ms. Lieberman and her seventh graders at Chicago International Charter School called Washington Park in Chicago,the Chapter decided to continue their efforts and sponsor another classroom for the 2009-2010 year.
In the Fall of 2009, the Chapter has taken great strides and has introduced an alumni advisory board to reconnect with our alumni and ask for their help. 3-5 Alumni Brothers were elected, and are headed by the alumni advisor. They will have the honor of determining the recipients of scholarships and awards given out by the Gamma Mu Chapter.
The Active Chapter
- The Chapter currently has approximately 70 Brothers.
- Gamma Mu's mascot is the moose.
- Our faculty advisor is Dr. Renee Babcock, who is an honorary Brother of the chapter.
- President- Justin Wagoner
- Vice President- Renee Renauer
- Corresponding Secretary- Emily Rambo
- Recording Secretary- Dedra McCorry
- Treasurer- Kelsey Thayer
- Parliamentarian- Brennan Kerkstra
- SGA Representative- Meghan Collar
- Historian- Anne Preston
- Initiate Advisor- Taylor Allen
- Chapter Liaisons - Male- Adam Patla
- Chapter Liaison - Female- Amber Halstead
- Alumni Co-Chairs- Charice Craft & Erin Kelly
- Fellowship- Alyssa Greene
- Fundraising- Clarke Levitt
- Inter-Chapter Relations Co-Chairs- Rachel Girvan & Lindsay Mudge
- Leadership- Lauren Smith
- Philanthropic Development- Hannah Lundeen
- Public Relations/Rush-Cianna Fant
- Scholarship-Teasha Johnson
- Service- Jenni Herrema
- Spirit- Emily Towner
Past Chapter Presidents
- Justin Wagoner (Fall 2015)
- Lindsay Soave (2014-2015)
- Sara Enochs (2013-2014)
- Justin Metzger (2012-2013)
- Alyssa Chrisman (2011-2012)
- Bryan Page (2010-2011)
- Rachel Pelto (2009- 2010)
- Jennifer Travis (2008-2009)
- Tiffany Wood (2007-2008)
- Kevin Kwolek (2006-2007)
- Kirk Beckstrom (2005-2006)
- Mary Ready (2004-2005)
- Mary Bradley (2003-2004)
- Marcy Mierzejewski (2002-2003)
- Sarah Baldwin (2001-2002)
- Leah Schultz (2000-2001)
- Jamy Marske (1999-2000)
- Kim Goble (1998-1999)
- Shannon Brandt (1997-1998)
- Kate Blatnik (1996-1997)
Past Executive Board
Main Article: List of Gamma Mu Chapter Executive Board
Past Committee Chairs and Ad-Hoc Positions
Main Article: List of Gamma Mu Chapter Initiate Classes
Chapter Events & Activities
- On October 4, 2008 The Gamma Mu Chapter raised over $600 at it's 2nd annual Easy As Pi Run/Walk to raise money for Teach for America. This event gathered Brothers, Alumni, Friends, Classmates, and people from the community. A silent auction was held, and all of the proceeds went to Teach For America as well. 
Relay For Life
- Cancer is a subject that is close the the heart of the Brothers in the Gamma Mu Chapter. As a result of this, the Brothers annually participate in Relay For Life to raise money and awareness towards the research of cancer. This year the Brothers will be walking in honor of a Brother who has recently lost the battle against cancer, Ashley Koss.
Detroit Red Wings Fundraiser
- In 2013, the Gamma Mu Chapter decided to partner with the Red Wings for a fundraiser to raise money for our Chapter. We hope to create this as an annual winter season event. Multiple Brothers, friends and family were in attendance this season.
- Every spring, the Brothers of the Gamma Mu Chapter invite their families up to Central Michigan University for a parent's brunch. The parents are then able to gather information about the organization that their child is actively involved in by meeting Brothers, listening to various positions speak at the brunch, and watch a powerpoint that shows the Brothers being actively involved in the chapter. At the Spring Banquet, there is a silent auction. Items are donated to the chapter by separating Brothers, or are made and donated by active Brothers. All of the money from the silent auction is donated to Phi Sigma Pi's National Philanthropy, Teach For America. In the Spring 2010, Gamma Mu was recognized for this outstanding event when they received the Claude A. Phillips Fellowship Award.
- Every semester, the Gamma Mu Chapter holds an Alumni Banquet to honor the graduating Brothers. At this banquet, the Outstanding Brother Awards is given. In addition, at the Fall Alumni Banquet, awards are given to honor those with the most improved GPA and the Outstanding GPA. At Alumni Banquet, items are willed down to Brothers to keep their memories in the Chapter. Discover local history through Gamma Mu's Willed Items.
Past Chapter Events
Main Article: Past Gamma Mu Chapter Events
- Kate Blatnik, founder of the Gamma Mu Chapter.
- Megan Sanderson, founder of Epsilon Psi at Grand Valley State University.
Honors and Awards
- Organization to raise the most money for the Special Olympics Polar Plunge at CMU (Spring 2009 - Present)
- SOAR Awards: Lindsay Soave won President of the Year of a Large Organization. Emma Vincent received Outstanding Student Leader award. Emily Rambo was awarded Emerging Student Leader award.
- 2010 Joseph Torchia Outstanding Chapter Award
- 2010 Claude A. Phillips Fellowship Award
- 2010 Outstanding Regional Event Award
- 2010 Top In Region Award
- 2004 Top in Region Award
- 2004 Steven A. DiGuiseppe Administrative Award
Gamma Mu Awards
Outstanding Brother Awards
The Outstanding Brother Award is given to a senior based upon votes of the chapter. When submitting their votes, Brothers must include a reason why the Brother is deserving of the award. The award is handed out at Alumni Banquet every semester.
- Sara Enochs (Fall 2014)
- Chase Fitzpatrick (Fall 2013)
- Erica Smith (Spring 2013)
- Jennifer Haynes (Spring 2012)
- Bryan Page (Fall 2011)
- Rachel Pelto (Spring 2010)
- Emily Brown (Fall 2009)
- Lauren Miller (Spring 2009)
- Brittany Floer (Fall 2008)
- Amanda Newman (Spring 2008)
- Sara Yonker (Fall 2007)
- Jacqueline Whitaker (Spring 2007)
- Nicole DuBrock (Fall 2006)
- Kara Wingett (Spring 2006)
- Jessica Hunt (Fall 2005)
- Mary Ready (Spring 2005)
- Suzan Kurtz (Fall 2002)
The Service Award is given to a Brother who has exemplified outstanding community service both in and out of Phi Sigma Pi. The awarded is handed out during Parent's Brunch each Spring.
- Alyssa Chrisman Spring 2012
The Tripod Scholarship is chosen based on submitted applications from the Brothers. A winner is then chosen based on their responses, and a $200 scholarship is given to the Brother. This scholarship is handed out annually at the Spring Alumni Banquet.
- Erica Smith 2012
- Sarah Breen 2010
- Tiffany Wood 2009
- Kati Chapin 2008
- Laura Schulz 2007
- Michelle McManaway 2006
- Niki Brunink 2005
- Mary Ready 2004
- Heather Kinghorn 2003
- Suzan Kurtz 2002
- Sarah Baldwin 2001
- Kristy Ott 2000
- Jessica Bowhall 1999
- Stacy Petrimoulx 1998
Evey semester the Brothers submit their grades. Based on those submissions, the Chapter recognizes a Brother's scholarly efforts by awarding them with the Outstanding GPA award of the semester. This award is handed out at Alumni Banquet every semester.
- Alyssa Chrisman Spring 2012
- Rachel Pelto GPA 4.0 Spring 2009
- Brian Steib GPA 4.0 Fall 2008
- Jennifer Travis GPA 3.82 Spring 2008
- Wendy Wichert GPA 4.0 Fall 2007
- Sommer Reed GPA 4.0 Spring 2007
- Amanda Kmetz GPA 3.92 Fall 2006
- Liz Elam GPA 3.85 Fall 2005
- Emily Haney GPA 4.0 Spring 2005
- Krystin O'Dell GPA 4.0 Fall 2004
- Krystin O'Dell GPA 4.0 Spring 2004
In the News
- Viewpoint: How I turned my college experience around, college.usatoday.com
- Into the Fire: Student balances school and firefighting
- Bike and Build sends students riding and working on affordable housing across America
- Phi Sigma Pi hosts Think Before You Drink
- Phi Sigma Pi hosts Rent-A-Puppy to relieve students’ stress
- VIDEO: Polar plungers raise thousands for Special Olympics
- CMU honors fraternity seeks to shed light on drunk driving
- Phi Sigma Pi donates to Teach for America
- Phi Sigma Pi aims to reduce drunk driving
- Phi Sigma Pi 'Easy as Pi' 5k run, walk raises $600
|Gamma Mu Chapter|
|Founded October 15, 1996 • Central Michigan University|
|Presidents||Kate Blatnik • Shannon Brandt • Kim Goble • Jamy Marske • Leah Schultz • Sarah Baldwin • Marcy Mierzejewski • Mary Bradley • Mary Ready • Kirk Beckstrom • Kevin Kwolek • Tiffany Wood • Jennifer Travis • Rachel Pelto • Bryan Page • Alyssa Chrisman • Justin Metzger • Sara Enochs • Lindsay Soave|
|History||List of Gamma Mu Chapter Initiate Classes • List of Gamma Mu Family Lines|
|Chapter Service Keys||unknown|
|National Council Members||none|